FootballManchester City

City come back to beat Porto in Champions League opener

Blues win 3-1 to move to the top of Group C

Table of Contents

Manchester City’s Champions League campaign kicked off on the right foot as they came back to beat Porto 3-1 on Wednesday.

Game Story

 The Blues looked flat early on as the Portuguese side exploited the space down the flanks in the early going.

On 14 minutes a bad giveaway by Ruben Dias led to the opening goal.

Luiz Diaz took advantage with a brilliant solo effort from a tight angle that found the corner past Ederson.

The lead was short-lived as Manchester City was awarded a penalty on 20 minutes after Pepe brought down Raheem Sterling inside the box.

City’s all-time leading goal scorer Sergio Aguero stepped up to equalize from the spot.

The usually reliable Ederson nearly gave the lead right back in the 23rd minute but fortunately, Uribe’s shot sailed over the bar.

Some great defending from Kyle Walker kept the score tied just before the half as he cleared Oliveira’s tap in off the line.

City looked a much livelier side in the second half.

A nice half volley from Ilkay Gundogan in the 49th minute was well stopped by Porto’s keeper Agustin Marchesin.

Gundogan redeemed himself in the 65th minute.

His perfectly hit free-kick on the edge of the area bent over the wall and into the far corner for his first goal of the season.

 Substitute Ferran Torres notched his first Champions League goal for City off a nice feed from fellow substitute Phil Foden in the 73rd minute.

 Coming back

Coming from behind is not something Pep Guardiola’s men are accustomed to.

This was the first time they came back to win after conceding the opening goal since they beat Real Madrid 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League tie in February.


It took some outstanding individual efforts to make a difference for City.

Kevin De Bruyne missed his second consecutive game due to injury.

Eric Garcia took the place of Nathan Aké and Gundogan got the start over Phil Foden.


This is the first time Porto scored a goal in England in their last 8 games.

Aguero’s equalizer from the spot was the Argentine’s first goal in 231 days with the club.

City had 69% possession in this one with 6 shots on target and an 87% pass accuracy.

The stats will tell you how much more of the ball City had with 638 passes to Porto’s 292.

Man of the Match

 Ilkay Gundodogan was the most dangerous City player in this one.

In a subpar team performance by all accounts, his individual brilliance helped power City to three points.

His sublime free-kick and ability to hold the ball in midfield were pivotal for the Blues.

Without De Bruyne, Laporte, Gabriel Jesus, and Benjamin Mendy, the German attacking midfielder stepped up when they needed him.

How they sit

 After one match City is in first in Group C with three points.

Olympiacos beat Marseille 1-0 to move to three points as well.

Next up

 City aims for their second win in the Champions League when they face Marseille in the south of France next Tuesday.

Kickoff is 8 pm.

The next game for City is Saturday afternoon in the EPL at 12:30 pm against West Ham. (JSL)

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button